PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
How do I draw a thick, red circle with no fill?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Lightscape

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: How do I draw a thick, red circle with no fill? Reply with quote

I use photoshop a fair amount, but only to edit photos. For work I need to be able to circle something in an image and I cannot figure out how to draw a thick, red circle around some text. How do you do it?

Thanks,

Rory

EXP12000K

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if you are familar with the pen tool (next to the shape tool)but this is the process,
1. Grab the pen tool and click around the text which will make anchor points. go all the way around until you make the circle (click on your first anchor point to close the circle).
2. Now click on the brush tool and select a prefered brush size and color (in this case red).
3. Now click back on the pen tool and right click on the circle you made, and click stroke path. A dialog window should pop up, set your tool to brush and make sure "Simulate Pressure" is NOT checked. and hit ok. and your done.

Aziz Natour

PS Version: Adobe PhotoShop 9 Creative Suite 2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try to make a circle selection by the ellipse selection tool,
now go to Select->Modify->Border - hit 1 pix then ok
after that fill the 1pix with any color.

OR : make an ellipse selection right click with mouse, hit make work path, then stroke path with 1px brush as EXP12000K told you, but in my way you dont need pen tool

Hope that was helpful
tell me if it succeeded

Lightscape

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aziz Natour wrote:
try to make a circle selection by the ellipse selection tool,
now go to Select->Modify->Border - hit 1 pix then ok
after that fill the 1pix with any color.

OR : make an ellipse selection right click with mouse, hit make work path, then stroke path with 1px brush as EXP12000K told you, but in my way you dont need pen tool

Hope that was helpful
tell me if it succeeded

thank you for your help, but I have fallen short of the goal.

I created the circle, selected it and created the border. But I am having trouble figuring out how to fill the border. Could you please give me more detailed instructions on how to do that? Thank you.

Lightscape

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXP12000K wrote:
not sure if you are familar with the pen tool (next to the shape tool)but this is the process,
1. Grab the pen tool and click around the text which will make anchor points. go all the way around until you make the circle (click on your first anchor point to close the circle).
2. Now click on the brush tool and select a prefered brush size and color (in this case red).
3. Now click back on the pen tool and right click on the circle you made, and click stroke path. A dialog window should pop up, set your tool to brush and make sure "Simulate Pressure" is NOT checked. and hit ok. and your done.

Thank you for your help.

When I followed step 3 and clicked on the pen tool again, then right-clicked the cirlce, stroke path was not an option. Any idea why?

ClrWtrDsgnr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do not use the pen tool. If you just have to circle something, use the ELLIPSE TOOL. The fill can be any color you want. Drag the ellipse OVER whatever it is you have to circle...so that it covers it. Then go over to the layer pallet...with the Ellipse selected, bring the FILL down to 0%...Then open the BLENDING OPTIONS for that ellipse layer and select STROKE. The default color is red, and you can change the thickness of the stroke by adjusting the size in pixels (px).

Using the pen just makes it too complicated..hope this helps.

AgfaD2

PS Version: Photoshop 9.0 CS2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not forget to hold shift to keep the aspect ratio the same to make the perfect circle.

EXP12000K

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry Lightscape, "ClrWtrDsgnr" is right just follow his directions. I don't know why I told you to use the pen tool... sorry again bud

Patrick
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No big deal. :) Everyone's here to help.

Thanks guys.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: