PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Map Symbols
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Daendyr19

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Map Symbols Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I have a question concerning the symbols on map. You see, I'm making a world map in Photoshop (atlas style), and I am wondering what to use as map symbols (for city sizes and such). So I settled for the standard ones (image below), but I have no idea how to make these, or how to start making these.

Should I use the brush tool, or perhaps the custom shape tool (and can someone tell me the difference between those two?), or something entirely else? Thanks.

P.S. Please don't say: "Why don't you just copy the icons?", because they are kind of low-res and I really want to learn this myself.

khorvaire-map-colored.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  132.21 KB
 Viewed:  1960 Time(s)

khorvaire-map-colored.jpg

Rarity

PS Version: CS6

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice the distinct difference between the icons on the left and right. Difference like that asks for different methods.

What I'd would do for the left column icons is creating some vector based icons using the custom shape tool and or the pen tool. You could convert those to brushes as well, what I'd most likely do myself as it's easier just clicking once with the brush tool than copy/paste/move.

For the right hand side column I would use brushes. Making some custom brushes for, for example, the vulcanoes and mountains using default brushes with large spacing on the lightning rail and doing the rivers and canyon/rift by creating a path and stroking it with a brush - note that the last one also can be done with a custom shape and just stroking the shape with no fill.

I hope what I've just said made some sense, if not please say so. No bother for me to elaborate if it helps you better. If this is the case though, it might help to have more specific info on what icons you need and your experience with Photoshop etc.

Daendyr19

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rarity wrote:
Notice the distinct difference between the icons on the left and right. Difference like that asks for different methods.

Thanks for the response. However, I only plan on adding the left column, I have different methods for creating the right column.

Quote:

What I'd would do for the left column icons is creating some vector based icons using the custom shape tool and or the pen tool. You could convert those to brushes as well, what I'd most likely do myself as it's easier just clicking once with the brush tool than copy/paste/move.

I hope what I've just said made some sense, if not please say so. No bother for me to elaborate if it helps you better. If this is the case though, it might help to have more specific info on what icons you need and your experience with Photoshop etc.

The only thing that is bothering me is that I have no idea how to make these. Do you know any tutorials? Thanks.

Cazaremuncitori

PS Version: CS 6

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you are making a world map in Photoshop, but you don't know how to make a key map? Usually maps are made with vector tools (Adobe Illustrator), as Photoshop is based on photo processing. So with other words, Photoshop can tune want is already made. Thus you can create vector based shape but will be harder in PS.

Remember that a "key map" is an explication (text attached on image) of your big map. So you key map must contain same patterns and shape as your big map.

I will assume that you want to modify a map based on a ready image, and you just want to add/reposition those symbols.

The easiest way is to copy in you "key map" selection form your bug map, and anssambling them in layers as group

At the other hand, if you want to make them from the scape, you must use work path selection, brush tool and color pic.

To that:

1) choose you keymap
2) look on their elements, and try to observe on how many shape are
3) choose (visualy) an inside key shape (eg. swamp)
4) in Photoshop use Magic Want Tool (W) and press on "swamp" shape
5) copy and paste it. (a new layer will be made)
6) resize it (if you need to do that, will bring you a better resolution)
7) use Magic Want Tool (W) again, then (on the top, right bar of PS) press "Refine Edge..". A pop-ip window will show: increase contrast, feather (1px)
Cool unselect all (Crt+D), then select this layer, and under FX, stroke it with 1px, inside (border color could be choosed with a color pic, according your big map.
9) if you need to resample the "swamp" inside color image (eg. grass, dirt) try to create a pattern from the original map (if look better)
10) OR under FX: inner shaddow, satin, color overlay (see my file)
11) add next shapes utill you'll complete your key (or if shapes are with same pattern, you can use multiple selection at begining)
12) add key background layer (eg light blue, for our key swamp) as a rectangle filled with light blue. Put that layer bottom.
13 group those layers (Crtl+G), then create a mask for that group
12) decide on how big you key will be, because we'll make a key border mask.
a) create a rectangle, no fill (alpha) with stroke (eg. brown) 1 or 2 px
b) rasterize (right click on layer) and move that layer in group, at top
c) magic wand on rectangle's border, then from Selection (menu bar) click Inverse (Ctrl + Shift+I)
d) go to group mask (click on mask), and fill selection with black, then Magic Wand inside rectangle, go to group mask again and fill that with White. Now we have the key mask*
* you can now use that mask and brown rectangle for every other key
Another way is touse smart layers.

Also if you want to have really great image, take you time and make a sharp refine/selection.

Have Fun!

khorvaire_map_colored_106.psd
 Description:
An example of key map processed with PS CS6

Download
 Filename:  khorvaire_map_colored_106.psd
 Filesize:  160.44 KB
 Downloaded:  176 Time(s)

Daendyr19

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cazaremuncitori wrote:
So you are making a world map in Photoshop, but you don't know how to make a key map? Usually maps are made with vector tools (Adobe Illustrator), as Photoshop is based on photo processing. So with other words, Photoshop can tune want is already made. Thus you can create vector based shape but will be harder in PS.

Remember that a "key map" is an explication (text attached on image) of your big map. So you key map must contain same patterns and shape as your big map.

I will assume that you want to modify a map based on a ready image, and you just want to add/reposition those symbols.

The easiest way is to copy in you "key map" selection form your bug map, and anssambling them in layers as group

At the other hand, if you want to make them from the scape, you must use work path selection, brush tool and color pic.

To that:

1) choose you keymap
2) look on their elements, and try to observe on how many shape are
3) choose (visualy) an inside key shape (eg. swamp)
4) in Photoshop use Magic Want Tool (W) and press on "swamp" shape
5) copy and paste it. (a new layer will be made)
6) resize it (if you need to do that, will bring you a better resolution)
7) use Magic Want Tool (W) again, then (on the top, right bar of PS) press "Refine Edge..". A pop-ip window will show: increase contrast, feather (1px)
Cool unselect all (Crt+D), then select this layer, and under FX, stroke it with 1px, inside (border color could be choosed with a color pic, according your big map.
9) if you need to resample the "swamp" inside color image (eg. grass, dirt) try to create a pattern from the original map (if look better)
10) OR under FX: inner shaddow, satin, color overlay (see my file)
11) add next shapes utill you'll complete your key (or if shapes are with same pattern, you can use multiple selection at begining)
12) add key background layer (eg light blue, for our key swamp) as a rectangle filled with light blue. Put that layer bottom.
13 group those layers (Crtl+G), then create a mask for that group
12) decide on how big you key will be, because we'll make a key border mask.
a) create a rectangle, no fill (alpha) with stroke (eg. brown) 1 or 2 px
b) rasterize (right click on layer) and move that layer in group, at top
c) magic wand on rectangle's border, then from Selection (menu bar) click Inverse (Ctrl + Shift+I)
d) go to group mask (click on mask), and fill selection with black, then Magic Wand inside rectangle, go to group mask again and fill that with White. Now we have the key mask*
* you can now use that mask and brown rectangle for every other key
Another way is touse smart layers.

Also if you want to have really great image, take you time and make a sharp refine/selection.

Have Fun!

I don't want that. I only want the left column (the simple dots and such). Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

Cazaremuncitori

PS Version: CS 6

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vertical pannel, Shape Tools (just above hand tool)

1) one simple dot:

a) choose "Ellipse tool" (U), drag the corner with Shift (to be constraint)
or b) using Brush Tool (B), you'll see in the left upper corner of PS, a "brush icon" and near a dot and a number. Click on the arrow (that is pointing down) and choose your point size (numerical), and brush shape (right, vertical slider). After those settings, go to your canvas and every press you make will make a dot

2) simple black dot with white border:
a) make a simple dot, select this layer (under layer tab, right pane in PS), then press to "fx" right, bottom PS panel.
b) a pop-up opening. Now choose "Stroke", color white, size 1px

3) black dot in the center over a white circle (stroked with black)
a) copy the circle from step 2, and add a step 1 in the center
b) arrange those 2 layers, as little dot to be in the center of biger circle
c) group them

4) the big circle is an white stroked with black, and the small one is black

5) the big circle is same as 4), and fopr small rectangle follow step 1, but instead of Ellipse, use Rectangle Tool, or use rectangle brush tool

6) same as 5)

7) "Metropolice":
a) make a white circle stroked with 1px black
b) from Shape Tools choose "Polygon Tool". You'll see at the top, right side menu bar of PS a configuration for your polygon.
c) you have an hexagon, so you need 6 polygon points. Also you'll see a small cog wheel on that menu (press it) and uncheck "star".
d) drag your polygon, and rotate it as you need

8) "Capital"
a) white circle, stroked with 1px black
b) now you polygon is a star with 5 sides, so put "5" on "Sides", and from that "cog wheel" icon, check "star", and put 50% on "Indent Sides by"

9) "Ruin":
a) white rectangle, stroked with black
b) from Shape Tools choose "Line Tool" (black, no stroke), and drag from inside rectangle, from one corner to its opposite corner
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: